Thursday, May 5, 2011

Eats: Guacamole.


There is no way I could begin this blog series any other way than with one of my absolute go-to, never-fail, eternally favorite (possibly even a whole meal) snack that is guacamole. To say that I am obsessed would be an understatement; I've probably eaten more than my body weight of this delicious green goo in the past year alone. And in honor of Cinco de Mayo I found it fitting to share with you how I like to prepare my special guacamole that I promise will have you wishing you bought another five avocados. Check out the full recipe after the jump!



Ingredients: 
  • 3 large Haas avocados
  • 1/2 large red onion
  • 2 limes
  • 1 jalapeno
  • Handful of cilantro
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • Salt and Pepper

Recipe:
I find it easiest to chop all the ingredients and have them ready before opening up the avocados, so that you don't run the risk of them turning brown on you.
  • Chop the onion, cilantro and garlic into a fine dice. Set aside.
  • Firmly roll the limes on your cutting board to get the juices flowing and slice them in half. Set aside.
  • Slice avocados in half, discarding the pit and scoop them into a large bowl. Mash them with a potato masher, fork or metal spatula (I've had to do this step with all sorts of utensils, use whatever you can find) until as mushy as you prefer.
  • Add juice of one lime and chopped ingredients to the avocado mush. Mix gently.
  • Dice the jalapenos and add them last. (Wash the knife before using it for anything other chopping or else it will be spicy!) For the most mild option discard all the seeds and just add the green parts. If you like it spicy, keep the seeds. Know that a little goes a long way.
  • Liberally salt and add just a touch of pepper to the whole mixture. Taste and add a little more lime and salt if it feels like something is missing.
  • All in all, it makes a small batch probably enough for a few people, less if you eat as much as me. It doesn't store well so eat it all up within a few hours!


[Images via: My Files]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...