As a lover of classical music and all things sparkly, I have to admit that I have been anticipating a chance to share a travel post on Austria- the home of Mozart, Swarovski headquarters, picturesque Alpine slopes and a bustling modern art scene to boot. The lovely city of Salzburg is just the place to experience all of the above (with a slight detour for the sparkly part, see below); and with the slight chill in the air today in the Bay, I can't help but imagine myself in a much more romantic place (call me crazy but homeless people outside my door just doesn't do it for me.) Check out the complete fabulous itinerary after the jump along with the perfect outfit for exploring. File under dreaming on.
Entrance to the Swarovski headquarters in Wattens, Austria
What to Do:
- Stay at Hotel Sacher Salzburg, the poshest place in town and where Julie Andrews stayed while filming The Sound of Music. How's that for classic? Oh, and don't forget to order the original Sacher Torte from room-service.
- Drink coffee where Mozart used to get his at the city's oldest cafe Tomaselli
- Speed through the German Autobahnen 93 (it is the fastest route, about an hour and a half, unless you go 200mph on the mostly limitless speedway) and back into Austria to reach Wattens, where you'll find the Swarovski headquarters marked by the huge head in the hill and filled with chambers chock-full of crystals including pieces designed by Salvador Dali and Andy Warhol
- Visit the Museum of Modern Art in Salzburg to bring things back to reality.
- Eat dinner at the thoroughly modern Ikarus in Hangar-7 (that's the private hanger of the creator of Red Bull) where a different acclaimed international chef creates a unique menu monthly. Tasting menu starts at $120 per person.
What to Wear: Channel your inner Julie Andrews with a flirty full skirt complete with naughty lace up boots hidden underneath and topped with a brocade fur coverup and a Swarovski stunner, naturally.
Jacket: Matthew Williamson cropped brocade and rabbit jacket
Top: 3.1 Phillip Lim knitted cotton-blend and chiffon tank
Skirt: Lanvin taffeta maxi skirt
Necklace: Lanvin Swarovski crystal braided chiffon necklace
Clutch: Christopher Kane laser-cut leather clutch
Boots: Emilio Pucci lace-up suede thigh-high boots