Sunday, February 5, 2012

Eats: Monterey Chicken.


I know, I know, It's Super Bowl Sunday and I should be sharing a recipe that would be the perfect item to add to your appetizer party tray; however, I am not particularly a football fan (I'll take basketball or hockey please) plus I find that for these things, the chips and grilled meats are always the first to go. In my belief, today is not a day for fancy-shmancy little appetizers. So instead, I want to show you how to make a super quick main course- full of flavor, simple to prepare and ready in a flash- my version of Monterey chicken. Because once the game is over, you're going to need something to wake up your palette. Keep reading after the jump to see the full recipe. File as yum-oh.




Ingredients:

  • Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (one per person)
  • Lawry's chicken fajita seasoning packet (1 packet per 2 chicken breasts) or any other spicy seasoning you like (homemade or not)
  • Fresh cracked black pepper and salt 
  • Olive Oil (doesn't need to be extra virgin)
  • Sliced tomato
  • Sliced red onion
  • Sliced avocado
  • Sliced Monterey cheese or my favorite, Tillamook's Pepper Jack
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish
  • Sour cream for garnish

Recipe:

  • Season the chicken breasts in a zip-top baggie with a splash of olive oil, the fajita seasoning packet and a pinch of black pepper and a touch of salt (usually the seasoning packets have plenty of salt, but season to your taste.)
  • Leave marinading in the bag as long as you like- overnight is best, but honestly I usually just leave it on there for about 5 minutes.
  • Heat up a large skillet with a bit of olive oil over medium heat, saute the chicken on both sides until cooked through.
  • While the chicken is cooking, slice all the toppings- tomatoes, red onions, avocado and cheese.
  • Cover a large baking sheet with foil, arrange the cooked chicken breasts on it.
  • Top the chicken breasts starting with the tomatoes, red onions, avocado and the cheese on top.
  • Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted. 
  • Remove from the oven, plate immediately and garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!


[Recipe and photo via: My brain and my Instagram!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...