Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eats: Caesar Salad.



I know it has been a while since I’ve posted a delicious recipe on here. Don’t worry, I haven’t stopped eating; I’ve just resorted to Top Dog and Tokyo Fish Market a little too many times than I’d like to admit this month. Nonetheless, I wanted to take this time to share an extra special recipe with you that my mother taught me and is a staple in both of our kitchens. What’s even better is that not only is it simple and delicious, but I promise it will impress just about any salad naysayer. I’m partially allergic to measuring spoons (they just annoy me), plus I’ve made this dressing so many times I could probably do it with a blindfold on (I think I just found my next party activity) but Martha Stewart version has all the details down (which is where my mom adapted it from!) Keep reading after the jump for my complete recipe, and I hope you all enjoy this salad as much as my family and I do! File under yum.




Ingredients:
  • Pre-washed bag of chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 egg yolk (discard white part)
  • 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
  • 3 garlic cloves (or two if you like less garlic), minced
  • Splash of worcestershire sauce
  • Juice squeezed from half a large lemon
  • 1/2-3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • As much grated Parmesan cheese as you can handle
  • Lots of freshly ground pepper (more than you think you need) and a pinch of salt (anchovy paste and cheese is pretty salty already)


Recipe:
  • In an extra large bowl (large enough to mix the whole salad in) combine the dijon mustard, egg yolk, anchovy paste, minced garlic, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
  • Whisk together to roughly combine.
  • Very slowly add olive oil in thin stream to create emulsion. If there is any separation you either aren't whisking it briskly enough or are adding the olive oil too quickly. Slower is better here.
  • Whisk just until combined (don't over whisk!) and dressing is slightly thicker, tastes not to mustardy and looks like any other salad dressing.
  • Add half the Parmesan cheese and whisky briefly to combine, it will get a little thicker here.
  • Take out about half of the dressing with a spoon and set aside (it's always better to have an underdressed salad than overdressed!)
  • Add lettuce to bowl that you just made the dressing in and mix to combine. Add as much parmesan cheese and reserved dressing as you like here.
  • Serve with a little extra cheese on top and enjoy!


Notes: 
  • Raw egg yolk- Not safe for everyone. Check with your doctor here if you're unsure.
  • Anchovy paste- I really don’t recommend skipping this ingredient. If your vegetarian, by all means leave it out, but if you’re just grossed out by anchovies just have someone else squeeze it in because it does make a huge difference in the end product.
  • Parmesan cheese- Ask your local cheese monger for the good stuff. And try not to flinch at the price….it will be worth it in the end!
  • To make it a little extra fancy you can add homemade croutons; just sauté bread cubes in a mixture of butter and olive oil with a little salt and pepper until they are toasty yummy. Or add your favorite protein for those who need a little more than just a salad. I love it with salmon, a little grilled chicken, shrimp or crab cakes if you really want to go all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...