Saturday, August 13, 2011

Eats: Tomato Basil Soup.


Being that I'm not feeling my best today (I'm guessing I have a mild case of the plague or I've just been watching Grey's Anatomy a little too much) the only thing that I want to do today is stay in bed and have a big old cup of tomato basil soup. This, along with a caramel apple spice from Starbucks, has always been my go-to cure for a day of rest. I hope that everyone else is having a wonderful weekend out with this beautiful weather. I for one, will be out of commission to do anything exciting until I kick this. Keep reading after the jump for the complete tomato soup recipe, which I have yet to try myself, but will be doing so once I feel well enough to go to the market! File under easy eats.


Ingredients:
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 2- 14oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
  • 1- 14oz. can of whole tomatoes
  • 2 cups of stock (chicken or veggie, doesn't matter!)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, julienned
  • Parmesan cheese

Recipe:

In a saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute - being careful not to burn the garlic.  Add the crushed tomatoes.  Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan to break them up.  Add the juice from the whole tomatoes, as well.  Add chicken stock, salt, pepper and sugar.  Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes.  

To finish, reduce the heat to low and stir in heavy cream and basil.  Serve topped with parmesan cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich. 



[Images and recipe via: Everyday Occasions]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...