Fashion to many (myself included, obviously) has always been considered its own art form so it comes as no surprise that curators are reaching into closets to compile retrospectives of some of the most iconic as well as newly established fashion houses alike. I was lucky enough to see the YSL and Cartier exhibits in last year and just recently attended the Balenciaga exhibit and symposium with the speaker Hamish Bowles at the De Young (go immediately if you're living anywhere close to San Francisco.) But even if you're not on the west coast, there are plenty of other locations where fashion will always be considered art. Check out the full list of exhibits around the world after the jump. File under more please.
- Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC (just extended)
- Balenciaga and Spain at the de Young, San Francisco
- Louis Vuitton: Voyages at National Museum of China, Beijing
- Rodarte: States of Matter at MOCA, Los Angeles (ending this week!)
- Set in Style: The Jewelry of Van Cleef & Arpels at National Design Museum, NYC
- Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk at Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and at the Dallas Museum of Art next November
[Images via: see links above]