The continent may be better known for its gross inequalities in living standards or its political instabilities but something that Africa is rich in is its many distinct cultures and untouched picturesque landscape. Take Rwanda for example; their past may have been described as horrific at best but there is a continued hope of its people for a new beginning. And what better way than to take an adventure to an untouched gem and receive an all access pass to Parc National des Volcans where you can interact with adorable gorillas. I know playing with these intriguing creatures would make me wish that life could be simple and delightful each and every day. Check out after the jump for some destination tips and the ultimate outfit. File under adding to the bucket list.
- What: 5 Days up-close and personal with 300 gorillas in Parc National des Volcans
- Where: 8 private cottages in the exceptionally luxurious Virunga Safari Lodge
- What’s Included: Access to the world's only gorilla research center, personal playtime with the gorillas and unlimited hiking around the reserve
- How much: Don't ask.
- What to Pack: bug spray, sturdy hiking boots, a fearless attitude, linen and cotton separates, more bug spray
- What to Read: Original copy of Out of Africa (one of the many in my childhood bookshelf), Planet of the Apes, Field Guide to African Wildlife
- Keep in Mind Around the Wildlife: No sudden movements, showing your teeth (that includes smiling) is perceived as a sign of aggression to many animals; remember they are wild and never approach them unwontedly; they can sense fear and are very perceptive of body language; shouting will stress them out so try to be as calm as possible.
Jacket: Current/Elliott The Boy Blue denim jacket
Top: Tibi Silk Crepe de Chine tank
Shorts: Proenza Schouler sequined shorts
Necklace: Oscar de la Renta topaz and crystal silk cord necklace
Bag: Miu Miu woven leather shoulder bag
Shoes: Lanvin snake-print wedge ribbon sandal
[Images via: National Geographic, Jetsetter, Net-a-porter]